[Goodies-dev] Hello!

Stephan Arts psybsd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:47:38 CET 2007

On 2/28/07, Mike Weichert <mweichert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My name is Michael Weichert, and I'm looking to start hacking on Xfce.
> This will be my first involvement with an open source project, and
> therefore I'm very excited and also very naive about getting started.
> :)
>
> My initiative for doing so is because I want a Linux desktop that is
> easier for Network and System Administrators to work with. GNOME has
> been my primary DE for several years, but I find that it's just too
> damn hard to deploy in the enterprise because of things like Group
> Policy and such (available in Windows) missing. Projects like GConf
> and Sabayon are an attempt to  fix this gap, but just gets too hairy
> with GNOME and it's bloat.
>
> I'm not entirely sure of how this problem just yet, but I wanted to
> introduce myself in this list and enquire to see if other developers
> might be interested in using Xfce to solve this problem?
>
> I'd like to see an implementation similiar to the following:
> - Default configuration settings, new profiles/user accounts are given
> these machine-level defaults
>
> - User configuration settings, specific to a particular profile/user account.
>
> - Static configuration settings, constant settings that override both
> the default and profile/user-specifc settings
>
> Tools could then be developed to manage these settings to deploy
> "policies" within a network.
>
> Sorry, I know my ideas are vague but hopefully you can understand what
> I think would be a good project/extension or compliment to Xfce - and
> I'd love to get your feedback.

Lets see if i can sum this up,

1) A user management tool for adding, removing and managing users and groups.
2) A graphical tool to configure the kiosk mode (and more kiosk settings)
3) The possibility to manage the menu for different users from a
central location.

Personally, i like the idea. But it will be a challenge to make the
user-management portable.

Regards,

Stephan