[Goodies-dev] howto begin as newbee

Martin Forsgren mk0foma at student.chalmers.se
Sat Sep 2 16:01:10 CEST 2006

> Hi!

> Am Samstag, den 02.09.2006, 10:29 +0200 schrieb Martin Forsgren:
>> Hej hej!
>> I am trying to make a new wavelan-plugin. To bad I need to
>> remake my perl-version to C++ to make it as a panel.

> C++??? I wrote mine in C... and i thought there also were wrappers for
> some scripting languages.

There are wrappers, even one for perl, but what I know it isn't updated
to later versions of xfce, to bad.

>> However my first problem is sadly enought I cant compile any
>> existing plugin. (thinking modifying an existing would be easier).
>> My problem by compilation is that it requires xfce4-panel-1.0 >= 4.0.0.
>> What does this mean. I have xfce4-panel-dev installed.
>> I guess it can have something to do with pkgconfig, but I dont
>> have a clue even where to start reading about it.

> in general:

> locate xfce4 | grep pc

> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkconfig/libxfce4panel-1.0.pc or
> whatever is appropriate due to the first outputs.

I've tried it. The file was in "/usr/lib/pkgconfig". Also running
pkg-config --list-all showed libxfce4panel-1.0.

But it doesnt work :(
What more can I check? Can I read about it somewhere?

And Is there any tutorial how to build your own plugin for xfce
 from scrach?

> but it seems you are trying to build plugins for the 4.2 panel wherwas
> the rest of your system is xfce 4.3

Sorry, some plugins where older. But the same problem exists for other
plugins ( xfce4-panel-1.0 was not found, require atleast version 4.2.0 ).

> HTH, fabian

Schönes Aubit
/Martin Forsgren