First cut at a cross-"platform" X11/Wayland windowing library

adlo adloconwy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 00:32:33 CEST 2022

> On 22 Sep 2022, at 01:15, Brian Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org> wrote:
>
> One thing I realized is that on Wayland there doesn't appear to be a way to get the list of toplevels on each workspace.  There's no "glue" between the workspace protocol and the foreign toplevel protocol.  That would presumably require some engagement with the people who maintain those protocols in order to fix it, but in the meantime I think it's fine to just pretend that every workspace on Wayland has every toplevel window.  Not ideal, but the best we can do for now.

I think the ext-workspace protocol could be modified to announce what zwlr_foreign_toplevel_handles are on what workspace. An ext_workspace could announce when a window enters it. I don't think that would require the cooperation of the wlr_foreign_toplevel devs, because the compositor would know internally which zwlr_foreign_toplevel_handles are on which ext_workspace. But I think that's the wrong way of doing it, as that would be duplicating wlr_foreign_toplevel's "toplevel" event, and I think those events more properly belong in the wlr_foreign_toplevel protocol, not the ext_workspace protocol.

Is it that the wlr_foreign_toplevel protocol would require some new "workspace-enter" and "workspace-leave" events?

Regards
adlo