xfdesktop & wayland

Brian Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Mon Sep 19 22:54:08 CEST 2022

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022, at 09:28, Gaƫl Bonithon wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
>> My branch[2] is super rough and needs some significant refactoring, but feel free to check it out if you want.
>
> It would be nice if you opened a merge request I think when you have
> something watchable.

Will do.  It's not even remotely mergeable as it is now.

>> I guess Wayland has a workspaces concept via a protocol extension
>
> Not at the moment to my knowledge, except this KDE protocol [2], but I
> don't think we want to use that. Otherwise there is this proposal [3],
> but it is not accepted at the moment.

There's a wlroots extension that they're working on getting "promoted" to being a fully-blessed protocol:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/40

>> maybe a new meta-library that has an API exposing the functionality possible on both X11 and Wayland makes sense.
>
> I've been wondering about integrating this with Libxfwl (mentioned in
> [4]) when porting the ShowDesktop plugin to Wayland in the last few
> days (see the last two current commits of [5]).
>
> For the moment I preferred to leave it out of the library, so its
> purpose would remain purely Wayland. The wrappers pointing to Libwnck
> or Libxfwl are therefore in ShowDesktop. I'm not yet convinced that
> it's worth writing a library for a few lines of wrapping... (or to
> integrate it into an existing library)

Sounds good.  I'll play around with it a bit, and take a look at the libxfwl stuff in the panel, and might try to put together the beginning of a standalone library.  That would probably be the next step for my work on xfdesktop, anyway.  (Well, I should probably see if the icon view is working, but I'm expecting it'll have issues, especially with DnD, so I'm putting it off ;) )

     -brian