Feature: fix borders for misbehaving applications

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult lkml at metux.net
Thu Oct 20 17:41:51 CEST 2022

On 20.10.22 16:58, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>     So the will of some corporations like Microsoft counts a lot more to you
>     than the user's will ?
>

> Who writes or publishes the application is irrelevant.

It becomes relevant as soon as the user has no chance to get it fixed.

>     And users should not have the freedom to get a consistent UI ?
>
> I am saying that if there is a bug in an application, the application
> should be fixed,

Right, it *should*. But that just won't happen.

But as it sounds that you're in possession of the wisdom how to fix
those rogue applications, please share it with us.

> rather than adding tons of code in the WM to work
> around whatever applications do.

Tons of code ?! It's two lines of actual code, one if(...) and one
FLAG_SET(..), plus 2 just for the code nice formatting.

Did you ever *actually* *read* my patch ?

>     And you don't like users being able to move around windows of hanging
>     applications easily ?
>
> /me shrugs and moves on.

Indeed an actual real world problem. Formerly just a typical MS-Windows
only problem (since X window managers aren't blocked by misbehaving
clients) - with CSD this class of problems was now introduced into the
Unix / X11 world.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert