xfwm4 | drop non functional gtk cursor theme (!64)

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:54:09 CET 2022

On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 at 14:25, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
<lkml at metux.net> wrote:

> On 02.11.22 17:56, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
> > Mind you, I did try before posting my reply, and it works.
>
> Interesting. Did you restart your Xserver ? Are you using separate
> font server ?

None of that.

>  Did you test whether it doesn't work anymore with my
> patch ?

Of course, hence my nack.

> Because myDisplayCreateCursor() obviously just uses Xserver's builtin
> cursor font.
>
> 1. myDisplayCreateCursor() calls XCreateFontCursor
> 2. XCreateFontCursor() once loads the Xserver's builtin font "cursor"
>     into an internal structure (not accessible from the outside) - once
>     loaded, it always reuses it (never attempts to reload ever), finally
>     creates a cursor from that.

See the Xcursor man page.

„The X11 XCreateFontCursor and XCreateGlyphCursor functions use this
part of the API to extend the X core cursors feature to use themes.“

Xlib implements XCreateFontCursor() which uses libXcursor, so that just works.

Does it mean your setup doesn't use Xcursor? Not sure I am interested
in supporting such setups, cursor themes and size do not even make
sense on such a setup anyway.

> […]

Cheers
Olivier