Feature: window fences

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult lkml at metux.net
Thu Nov 3 14:39:12 CET 2022

On 02.11.22 20:47, samuel wrote:

> Not sure how this is possible but after logging out and logging in the
> fences actually did show up.

Ah, you changed the xfconf and did not restart xfwm ?

Right know, xfwm can only load them at startup, thus needs to be
restarted. Haven't implemented dynamic reloading yet, since it's not
entirely trivial - especially moving around already fenced (and max'ed)
windows ... that's planned for a later iteration, but certain on the
agenda (needed eg. when a monitor fails)

If we get xfwm to a state where it can be easily rebooted and catch up
the previous state, this could be an easy way to go. But that's a whole
different topic. I'd like to be done with many code simplications first,
before touching such a sensible topic.

> Unfortunately it is not really usable for
> me. I'm more after a feature like 'wingrid' where you an throw a grid on
> your root screen and you windows snap to 1 or more of those cells
> depending on a hotkey you use while dragging the window...

At the moment, you'd have to define these cells manually. As already
mentioned in some of the discussions, it's not hard to extend it to
calculate them automatically. But the way how to do it exactly needs
some more considerations, since we can have multiple monitors with
very different geometries.

Of course, for changing them at runtime, we'd need to implement dynamic
reconfiguration first.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert