xfwm4 | drop non functional gtk cursor theme (!64)

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:56:43 CET 2022

On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 at 17:51, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
<lkml at metux.net> wrote:

> On 02.11.22 15:52, Olivier Fourdan (@olivier) wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > This code works as intended and is required to have the mouse cursor
> > size and theme working.
>
> I agree that this was the intention behind.
>
> BUT: what it actually does is recreating the cursors as they were
> before, using Xserver's builtin ones.
>
> EXCEPT: if somebody else messed with the root window, the cursors are
> reset to Xserver's builtin ones.
>
> If you want it to use themed cursors, it has to be changed to load the
> cursors from theme, instead of calling XCreateFontCursor(). But as long
> as it just using the Xserver's builtin cursors, the whole code doesn't
> make any sense at all.
>
> > With your branch, changing the cursor theme and cursor size in the mouse
> > settings does nothing.
>
> In master branch, it already does nothing. Confirmed it by selecting
> several cursor themes, which does practially nothing (some applications
> change their own cursors, but WM's cursors remain the same).

Mind you, I did try before posting my reply, and it works. So maybe
something is wrong with your setup or your test procedure, but that's
not enough of a reason to kill that code.

FWIW, this code is to update the cursor for xfwm4 itself, not the apps
(those need to update their cursor themselves).

So if you want to drop code which works, you ought to replace it with
some other (preferably better) code that works as well, otherwise the
chances that I accept such a merge request are nil, simple as that.

Cheers
Olivier