xfdesktop: globals or not ?

Brian Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Wed Nov 2 09:31:54 CET 2022

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022, at 01:25, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 01.11.22 03:23, Brian Tarricone wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I generally dislike globals (though admittedly I'm probably responsible
>> for most of the globals in xfdesktop, when I was younger and more foolish).
>
> okay, then we should move them into objects ?

Or just plain structs, if it's simple enough and reference counting isn't useful/needed.  GObject involves so much boilerplate...

I wouldn't go too far, though, in removing globals.  If you have to go through gymnastics to plumb the data through in a way that makes the code harder to read, I'd rather just leave it as a global.

> Thats okay, I can hold my stuff in a separate branch and rebase later,
> even if it needs heavy rewrites. I'm used to such workflows.

Sounds good!  Just wanted to make sure there were no surprises :)

     -brian