xfway: added support for alt-tab switcher

Andrzej andrzejr at xfce.org
Mon Jul 18 23:08:13 CEST 2022

On 18/07/2022 10:31, Alex wrote:
> > All that to say, wlroots is probably the easiest way forward,
> considering it replicates a lot of the EWMH design that xfce uses on X11.
>
> Great to hear that you would be open for that direction! Would you as
> well be fine with having Adlo's changes as a huge MR for xfwm4 sooner
> or later (assuming the x11 part will continue to work smoothly)

I would vote for a solution that reuses as much of existing codebase and
preserves as many Xfce features as possible. Otherwise will end up with
a new environment inspired by Xfce, which will either have to be forced
upon Xfce users or work its way up the adoption ladder like any other
new DE. Both scenarios are bad.

> Asking so, since I think it would be beneficial for Adlo and us to
> share the same long-term plans. If the changes have no hope for beeing
> merged into the current xfwm4 one day, I suppose it would make sense
> for Adlo to rename his project to something else than 'xfwm4', in
> order to dont confuse both projects.

I would not merge anything more than a few ifdefs into Xfwm4 or other
existing Xfce applications. There is a lot of value in keeping the
existing X11 desktop stable and allowing it to evolve in parallel
without forcing anyone to fork and rename it first.

Why not use xfway as the name of the compositor binary? It seems to fit
Xfce conventions well, both in the level of awkwardness and poorly
defined meaning ;-)

I would like Xfway to be a part of Xfce (provided it will not hijack
it). The question is if Xfway itself is ready for incremental
development. Research and experimentation is still ongoing (and for a
good reason, this phase is important), wayland spec and implementations
(now wlroots, maybe something else someday) are evolving. Some cleanups
(naming and build system matching the rest of Xfce) would also be nice,
although this could be done later.

Andrzej