Would switching to Qt be a good idea?

Hudd haddayn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:49:18 CEST 2022

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 18:03, samuel ammonius <sfammonius at gmail.com> wrote:

>> "Switching to Qt" would basically mean completely rewriting everything
>> from scratch as far as I can tell.
>

>> Not really. Most of XFCE's code is actually internal. Moving away from GLib would mean rewriting everything from scratch, and since QtCore is actually a replacement for GLib, it would be something that would need to be done eventually. However, rewriting the graphical parts of XFCE to use another toolkit won't be as difficult as it may sound. It also helps that Qt is extremely well designed compared to GTK, even if we leave out the gnomey-junk. Just look at this empty Qt button example as opposed to this empty GTK button example. I could probably rewrite a full copy of Mousepad alone in less than a week.

Examples that you provided don't really show which design is better.
Yes, Qt requires less
code to create an app which consists of just a single button, but
*most* applications aren't
merely a single button.

Those examples (https://riptutorial.com/qt/example/12519/hello-world and
https://www.gtk.org/docs/getting-started/hello-world) show only that
in GTK+ window
handling logic is separate from the widget logic. IMO this is a better
design. In a Qt project
I am currently working on we spent *a lot* of time searching for the
source of windows
that randomly popped up and disappeared - turned out that these were simply some
buttons created without a parent and assigned to a parent later.