Would switching to Qt be a good idea?

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 8 15:00:06 CEST 2022

"Switching to Qt" would basically mean completely rewriting everything
from scratch as far as I can tell. The time might be better spent
contributing to an existing Qt-based project (LxQt comes to mind).

Personally, I really think it is a big problem that GTK is so
opinionated. As the kind-of-default UI toolkit for the Linux desktop, it
should not be. It should be boring and stable instead. I also strongly
disagree with some of the particular choices they made (such as "buttons
are now at the top of the file picker dialog").

Coming from Gnome 2, I switched to XFCE because I did not like Gnome 3
at all. Now it feels like I am increasingly getting "Gnomed" (pun
intended ;-)) through the backdoor (GTK).

Maybe forking GTK instead would be a thought worth entertaining. Could
that get enough traction among the non-Gnome population of the GTK
ecosystem to be sustainable?

Greetings,
Christian