Promoting libxfce4windowing as a new core component

Brian Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Wed Dec 21 09:06:56 CET 2022

Hi all,

Gaƫl and I have been hard at work turning libxfce4windowing into a replacement for libwnck that can abstract over both X11 (where it uses libwnck) and Wayland (our own code, using Wayland protocol extensions) windowing primitives.  It seems to be working quite well so far, and we'd like to start merging our changes to xfdesktop and xfce4-panel to master, now that 4.18 has been released.  To do so, we'll need to promote libxfce4windowing to be a core Xfce component, add it to the release manager, the CI build container, etc.

We still don't consider its API/ABI to be fully stable, but expect there to be few (if any) backward-incompatible changes going forward.  The goal, of course, would be to consider it stable by the time of the 4.20 release, so we have a bit of time.

Any objections?

Thanks,
Brian