Request for comments: Xings Software

Matias De lellis mati86dl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 03:42:44 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned a couple of months ago, I started a gnome-packagekit
fork project, hoping to bring it back to its roots a bit. That is, a
set of applications to install, update packages completely independent
of Gnome and any distribution.

It may seem that these features still work in the original project,
but over time, it was losing some important features, such as the
synchronization of the repositories, and the notification of updates.
I had an old project to solve this part (and of course there are many
others.), but what motivated me to fork it was to return the dbus
service, which allows other applications to install applications among
other things..

Since the last announcement I have been working on improving some
things, such as changing the name (Maybe it was a bit ambitious),
fixing many bugs (some from my initial fork), and adding some
usability improvements... There are many changes to comment, so maybe
the best thing is to try it directly, and with the latest release, I
decided to make some packages to invite you to try.

There are packages for Debian Buster, Bullseye, Ubuntu Bionic, Focal
and Hirsute here (I hope to get the personal repository back soon):
* https://services.delellis.com.ar/data/xings/ubuntu/

... and packages for Fedora, Centos, EPEL, and openSUSE here:
* https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/matias/Xings/

They can be installed completely in parallel to the gnome-packagekit
and gnome-software.

So, whoever wants to try it, I am waiting, comments, criticisms and
suggestions... :)

Regards,
Matias

p.s: The home page is https://github.com/matiasdelellis/xings-software