System values for panel plugins with Xfconf

Andrzej andrzejr at xfce.org
Fri Oct 22 21:13:28 CEST 2021

On 22/10/2021 18:55, Graeme Gott wrote:

> Right now every Whisker Menu instance is separate. I had planned on
> making the Xfconf backend match in capabilities, but having only one
> custom channel like the clipman plugin is not a bad idea.

This would have to be tested but, as far as I know, there is nothing
preventing you from ignoring all the xfce4-panel's xfconf convenience
functions and use xfconf directly. These APIs are provided to make
managing multiple plugins with different configuration easier (think
launchers). Whisker menu plugin doesn't fall into this category - even
if multiple instances are present it is probably better if they share
the same setup.

On the other hand, letting the panel manage each Whisker Menu instance
separately should be fine as well - they would have to be reconfigured
every time a new plugin is added but that could be considered an added
flexibility. Distributions should be OK with this solution as well, as
the plugin IDs are known ahead of time (panel and plugins configs are
created together).

Andrzej