System values for panel plugins with Xfconf

Matias De lellis mati86dl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 00:27:57 CEST 2021

Hi Graeme and all,

My first thought is to recommend migrating to gsettings. It is one of the
few gnome projects, which does not have gnome-specific stuff hardcoded.
However, my thinking was motivated by the fact that xfconf had no way of
overwriting by the packagers and now just discovered that this is false,
and this email turned into a little wake-up call to the distro packagers. ;)

Well, xfconf respects the XDG standard and by default uses
$HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/* for user settings, and
/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/* for default values. It
basically takes the values of the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.
So, the way to modify the default options is to add a specific directory
(/etc/xfce-vendors? /usr/share/xdg?, I don't know. It will depend on each
distribution), to XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment variable (Just a bash file on
/etc/profile.d/ that sets it), and then just add the *.xml files in that
directory.

It would also be easy to add a patch in xfconf, to add an alternate default
folder, but I think the current behavior is fine, it was just unknown.

Xubuntu seems to do something like this, but Fedora and Debian add patches
to change the default options. I don't know other distributions.

So, IMHO obviously, I think we should promote the use of XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
and that distributions use it instead of patching applications. =)

Thank you for reading,
Regards,
Matias