About xfce-screensaver.c

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Mon May 3 14:53:52 CEST 2021

Hi,

> You can speak for yourself, of course. Could you be more specific in that
what kind of small(er) steps you would prefer? (I edited the merge request
BTW)

I would prefer not to meddle with DPMS and not add too many options that
take the special behavior of many screensavers/lockers into account,
because it implies we test them all. (And yes, I only speak for myself,
even if I misleadingly said "we" in my previous message. I was merely
relating to what I remember from the project's history. If anyone else
wants to review/merge that's fine!)

> The script has GPL license so it is not much different than C code in
that sense. I agree that writing a portable shell script is demanding, but
I have tried to do it anyway. There are numerous issues concerning desktop
locking in xfce4-power-manager, xfce4-session and xfce4-screensaver
projects. Who takes responsibility of them? My merge request actually aims
to resolve some of those issues.

My comment was less about whether it's shell or C, but that I'd prefer that
e.g. whether to handle DPMS or not when locking or idling should be decided
by the screensaver/locker, not by Xfce and through some hidden settings
that we wouldn't want to expose to the user. (At least some screenlockers
do seem to take that into account and it does make some sense, as they
control when the systems goes into locked state and comes out of it.)

I don't mind resolving or reducing the overlaps between session or
power-manager. The "lock command" setting I introduced with Erik and the
shared "Lock screen when system goes to sleep" setting between the two
components were some baby steps in that direction already. For me
personally it's just a matter of time and motivation...

Cheers
Simon