third party window manager support without Wayland

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Wed Feb 3 10:27:14 CET 2021

Hi,

so far there is no clear and generally agreed-upon roadmap for Wayland. The
transition would not be an easy one and we don't have that many
contributors eagerly pushing towards this transition, so I don't think you
"have to be afraid" that this will happen very soon.

What seems more realistic to me is that we add incremental support for
Wayland to the apps and components where it makes sense (and is technically
feasible), but again, this is not yet part of an agreed roadmap but my
personal opinion.

Cheers
Simon