About xfce-screensaver.c

Jarno Suni sunijarno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 21:19:30 CEST 2021

Hello!

Can someone explain why we have almost identical code
xfce-screensaver.c duplicated in xfce4-power-manager and xfce4-session
projects? I wonder, if xdg-screensaver could be used more to handle
screensaver inhibition? I tried to contact Eric Koegel who added the
files to look at my merge request, but I did not get any response. Is
he still around for Xfce? I am very disappointed and frustrated about
contributing to Xfce. I have reported a bug that requests that screen
locking should be done synchronously about 7 years ago and I haven't
got response from core developers even after posting a merge request.

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/-/merge_requests/20

Currently configurability of deskop locker sucks big time and it seems
no-one else wants to do something about it even if the primary
offering xfce4-screensaver sucks, too. User can choose e.g. preferred
file manager and terminal emulator, but some people talk if we should
drop support for anything else than xfce4-screensaver. Why? Xfce has
reputation of being configurable and flexible DE, so I wonder why
doesn't this issue get more attention?