Some thought about man pages

André Miranda andre42m at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 01:07:46 CEST 2020

Hi,
Yes, the current situation is a mess and something needs to be done.
Getting rid of man pages just because no one maintains them is a no go IMO.
I would say help2man would be a preferable flow, if that doesn't yield good
results, we can evaluate simplified manually written man pages.
If you're interested, please pick one or two components and send merge
requests.

Cheers,
Andre Miranda

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:06 PM Emanuele Petriglia <
inbox at emanuelepetriglia.com> wrote:

> [...]
> man page, but I also wouldn't replace the man pages with online docs.
>
> So yeah, I'd also go wit André's suggestion. Adding a link to our docs
> probably doesn't hurt (although in theory this should be a versioned link,
> as with the "Help" buttons in many of our settings dialogs).
>
> Cheers
> Simon
>

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:39 PM André Miranda <andre42m at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I wasn't around during 4.10 times, so I can't tell for sure what Nick
>> really meant, but I suspect the idea was to drop documentation that was
>> rendered into html and pdf files, not exactly man pages.
>> My take is: keep man pages simple, short, with quick explanations of
>> available options and at the bottom a link to full documentation.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andre Miranda
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 9:28 AM Emanuele Petriglia <
>> inbox at emanuelepetriglia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> Since Xfce 4.10, the Xfce developers and contributors deprecated all man
>>> pages in favour of online documentation[23] (docs.xfce.org). However, I
>>> have noticed that some applications still have a man page, usually old,
>>> and have different methods of being created. I would be interested in
>>> working on improving the consistency in the existing man pages. I found
>>> the following components still have man pages:
>>>
>>> * xfdesktop[1] (a)
>>> * xfce4-session[2] (a)
>>> * xfce4-session-logout[3] (a)
>>> * xfce4-power-manager[4] (b)
>>> * xdt-csource[5] (b)
>>> * thunar[6] (b)
>>> * exo-open[7] (b) (latest commit 10 years ago!)
>>> * xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin[8] (a)
>>> * xfce4-sensors-plugin[9] (a)
>>> * xfce4-screensaver-command[10] (a)
>>> * xfce4-screensaver-preferences[11] (a)
>>> * xfce4-screensaver[12] (a)
>>> * xfmpc[13] (a) (latest commit 11 year ago!)
>>> * xfce4-terminal[14] (b)
>>> * xfce4-screenshooter[15] (c) (the maintainer generated it, but it
>>> should generated during configuration)
>>> * xfce4-panel-profiles[16] (a)
>>> * xfce4-notifyd-config[17] (a) (it was created by a Debian contributor)
>>> * xfce4-mixer[18] (a)
>>> * xfce4-dict[19] (a)
>>> * xfburn[20] (b)
>>> * gigolo[21] (a)
>>> * catfish[22] (a)
>>>
>>> (a): manually written in groff
>>> (b): docbook
>>> (c): help2man
>>>
>>> The result is: 15 man pages are manually written, 6 are generated with
>>> docbook, one is generated with help2man, but it is not configured
>>> properly. All of the remaining packages, not listed, do not have a man
>>> page.
>>>
>>> I would like to improve the consistency in the existing Xfce
>>> documentation by starting to handle these man pages. So I propose a
>>> solution. For every Xfce package:
>>>
>>> 1. If the package has a man page, remove it;
>>> 2. Add a basic man page that simply redirects to the on-line