xfdce4-timer-plugin: Help

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Mon Jun 8 08:27:44 CEST 2020

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 21:14:10 -0400
Jerry Bond <stormyjerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Devs --

Hi!

> I have been struggling to get this plugin to work correctly after
> participating in an old Forum thread
> <https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6823> that has recently been
> revived. It is important to us because users frequently ask about
> alarms/timers and we would like to be able to point to this.
>
> Part of the problem is the GUI itself, about which I will post at a later
> time. I will say en passant that it is remarkable that there is no Help
> button on the GUI; the user has to first know there is one and where it is,
> then go and consult it--a slow, cumbersome and annoying procedure.
>
> But for now I am interested in trying to bring the Help file up to a level
> that would be useful to a wider audience. I provide here a possible
> revision of the current doc that aims for 3 goals: 1) update terminology
> for titles, labels, etc; 2) clarify various obscure features; and 3)
> suggest changes to make the entire document more user-friendly.

I have updated the documentation page based on your suggestions.

> ==================
> ==================
> *NOTE: images need updating*

Feel free to send new screenshots and I will update those.

> ==========
> Notes
> 1) It would be much better to have a default sound file already filled in
> so that the timer could be used OOTB
> 2) The sound file I used as an example (or another that would work without
> fuss) could be supplied with the app to make the user's job much easier

I think those are good suggestions. Please file feature request:
https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-timer-plugin/-/issues

> 3) Not sure you want to include the Known Issue section, but we find that
> appearance questions come up pretty frequently with 4.14.

I moved the "known issues" down a bit, closer to the "report bugs" section.

Thanks!

-nc