The target audience for Xfce 4.16

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Sun Dec 20 20:18:36 CET 2020

In the past days I submitted a number of (mostly cosmetic) changes to the various git repositories.

One of the next steps would be a suggestion to do s/AC_PROG_CC/AC_PROG_CC_C99/ in all configure.ac files, just to make sure a specific C standard is selected. While exploring the outcome of this idea I built everything with '-std=c90'. It did indeed found code which alread expects C99, or which will likely fail with a strict compiler.

I wonder if there are actual users of current Xfce on ancient systems. While I have no doubt that some releases did work on "odd" systems, are they targeted and tested still in 2021?

Olaf