Hook Into Xfce4-Terminal Functionality via API, DBUS, something else?

Druid Peter druidpeter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 19:59:40 CET 2019

Let's say I wanted to create a terminal application that would detect if it
was being run on xfce4-terminal and, if so, change the background image and
shading options according to various internal application logic on my end.
Since I'm writing the source for the terminal application myself, it would
be nice and useful to have an API where I could adjust the settings from
within my application. Failing that, using some sort of userspace bus
(DBUS? Something else?) or interprocess communication would also be an
option.

Does anyone know if such an API exists? How would I go about implemented
the above functionality? Thank you for your time.