Xfce Logo Refresh

Chester chesterdoran01 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 16:06:28 CET 2019

Hi! As I'm sure you've come across before, there is an alarming amount of
people who think Xfce is old fashioned / dead / ugly / looks like it
belongs in the 1990s. As such a huge fan of Xfce, it saddens me to see
these sorts of comments pop up from time to time. Do you think Xfce would
benefit from a little logo TLC? As one of the principles of Xfce is don't
just change thing for change's sake, here are some reasons why it may be
actually quite needed, as well as some downsides:

*Ups:*

   -

   As mentioned, it would "update" Xfce a little bit, get rid of some of
   the claims that it's old fashioned
   -

   Xfce's current logo is uppercase, whereas the official name is "Xfce"
   not "XFCE", creating confusion that it stands for something
   -

   Xfce's primary goal is simplicity, and the current logo doesn't reflect
   that with it's gradients, shadows, and asymmetrical typeface (just look at
   that C!)
   -

   It would unify Xfce's branding a little bit, for instance favicons seem
   to use a completely different logo than anywhere else, so does Xfce's
   default application menu icon

*Downs:*

   -

   Finding the time, people, and motivation to update the logo, I mean,
   nobody wants to slow down Xfce's development any further
   -

   Nostalgia! Who doesn't love the quirky logo we have at the minute? It's
   iconic!

I took a quick 5 minutes and created a few *very* rough ideas of the
direction it could go in, again, these are* very rough* and just from the
top of my head.

Thanks for your time, your hard work, and I look forward to hearing your
thoughts on the idea!