delayed session startup

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Sat Jul 20 17:38:02 CEST 2019

A few weeks, or perhaps months, ago the session startup code was updated to use "priority groups". Since this time there are notable delays during fresh boot. I just checked the wall clock. It took about 16 seconds from visible X11 mouse cursor until the first app windoes from ~/.config/autostart appeared.

I wonder if there is room to improve this. Does xfce4-session actually wait for events from the apps launched via xfce4-session.xml? How does it decide that the next priority group should be processed?

Maybe xfce4 apps could send notifications back to xfce4-sessions that their own init process is done, so that xfce4-session could move on?

Olaf