[XFCE4 Hardware Monitor Plugin] Vast graph speedup with slow data sources - much less data displayed

OmegaPhil OmegaPhil at startmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:07:46 CEST 2017

On 12/10/17 19:56, Sal Tepedino wrote:
> Are you sure? My memory monitor updates once per second. Maybe the
> solution is to put a 'update frequency' option and have every monitor
> in that particular instance update at that frequency?
>
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:52 PM, OmegaPhil <OmegaPhil at startmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/10/17 19:46, Sal Tepedino wrote:
>>> My main use case for this kind of monitor is having the load average
>>> on the same graph as the CPU monitors. The CPUs update frequently, but
>>> the load average doesn't, so this would kinda break that. I suppose I
>>> can put load average on the same graph as my memory and swap usage...
>>> wait. Memory is 1/s too. So... Swap and Load on one?
>>>
>>> I suppose, ideally this would be an option, but I have no idea what
>>> would be required to implement that, so I'll keep quiet ;)
>>

>> The change would make every monitor suddenly appear to be updated once
>> per second, via duping the previous real measurement - so yeah it would
>> break your setup.
>>
>> For reference Memory and Swap currently have genuine updates every 10
>> seconds, Load Average is 30 seconds.

Could you bottom post please - helps people read the flow of the
conversation.

Yeah, with the normal state of the code, I've just added a Memory Usage
Monitor which clearly updates much more slowly than the Network Usage
Monitors on the same view.

Atm I'm just thinking whether to accept the patch or not, rather than to
make anything generic - hence getting an idea of user sentiment here.
Considering how long it took me to 'get' what the patch does, making a
generic solution might be too much for me...