Status of GTK+3 transition

Klaas van Schelven klaas at vanschelven.com
Thu Jun 22 10:47:59 CEST 2017

Hello XFCE Developers,

I tried to find answers to the below on your site but couldn't find
anything; if they exist and my google-foo is lacking please just point me
to them.

I'm trying to figure out how stable the transition to GTK+3 is.

So far I've found the following:

The first version of Xfce that contained GTK+3 components was Xfce 4.12,
released on February 28, 2015. Also there's this discussion on moving
forward to Xfce 4.14, which talks of a full transition to GTK+3.

Is Xfce 4.12 considered stable? Will 4.14 be considered stable once it's
released? (I'm asking because of the word "transitional" used to describe
it in some places).

Is there any kind of support policy, or are users & distributions basically
expected to upgrade relatively quickly to the newest versions?

regards,
Klaas