Missuse of a hardcoded icon on xfce exo

Pablo Lezaeta Reyes prflr88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 05:07:39 CEST 2017

El Sat, 26 Aug 2017 12:38:33 -0400
Sean Davis <smd.seandavis at gmail.com> escribió:
> > El Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:42:18 +0200
> > Olivier Duchateau <duchateau.olivier at gmail.com> escribió:

> > > Complain Adwaita icons theme (or the GNOME designe team), because
> > > they are not able to follow the standard, they develop.
> > >

> > Budgie and pathreon desktops have the same issue at least for many
> > of the same icons like the mail reader and both decide use
> > "mail-generic" should not we use it too? or also try to use the
> > same names that they use.
> >
> > Also I think the issue relly more in a stardard that haven't
> > reseived an update or ammendment within like 7 years.

> > 29474fe37267266e785511808ff2586bd196600c
> > naming-spec-latest.html

> > The question persist, I should oppend a bug and if need submit a
> > patch with (in my optinion) changin to "mail-generic" or this mail
> > in the mailist is enough?
> >

> The issue at hand is basically that there is no standard definition
> for the mail icon. Since we can generally expect the "emblem-mail"
> icon to exist in most themes, this is what we are using. The ideal
> resolution would be proposing a patch for the freedesktop.org
> standards for a new standard mail icon.

So on your word I underestand that the solution is using a standard
icon in a non-compliant way in a place that was not intended to be
used? because that I underestand.

Yet most icons have either the old internet-mail (because Xfce4.12 and
lower use it) and the mail-generic (that is used on budgie and others).

> The proposed "mail-generic" exists in fewer icon themes than the
> standard "emblem-mail" or non-standard "internet-mail".

I think at this point ever gnome has started to drop compliant with
fd.o icon specification [1] and that maybe why it not get updated...

I think that we at least see if is possible to use fallbacks, like
'spect internet-mail and if that not available fallback to mail-generic
and then to emblem-mail? that should be a more sane aproach and will not
break themes and stuff and will always show an icon. or just keep the
old icon.
Alternatively we could ask for an updating on the speccification for
those use-cases.

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:56 PM, Pablo Lezaeta Reyes
> <prflr88 at gmail.com> wrote:

[1]
https://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus/tree/data/org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop.in
https://git.gnome.org/browse/totem/tree/data/org.gnome.Totem.desktop.in.in