Missuse of a hardcoded icon on xfce exo

Pablo Lezaeta Reyes prflr88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 05:56:50 CEST 2017

El Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:42:18 +0200
Olivier Duchateau <duchateau.olivier at gmail.com> escribió:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:05:44 -0300
> Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes <prflr88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed that commit 511808ff2586bd196600c [0]
> >  in exo introduce a change that is even though they're now using a
> > freedesktop standard icon they're using it in *entirely the wrong
> > context* which will play havoc with any icon theme in existance.
> >
> > Emblem icons are for *tags and properties of files*, that are
> > displayed in the file manager. This context contains emblems for
> > such things as “ read-only” or “photos” [1].
>
> Complain Adwaita icons theme (or the GNOME designe team), because
> they are not able to follow the standard, they develop.

Budgie and pathreon desktops have the same issue at least for many of
the same icons like the mail reader and both decide use "mail-generic"
should not we use it too? or also try to use the same names that they
use.

Also I think the issue relly more in a stardard that haven't reseived
an update or ammendment within like 7 years.

> > [0]
> > https://git.xfce.org/xfce/exo/commit/?id=29474fe37267266e785511808ff2586bd196600c
> > [1]
> > https://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
> >
> > Since is a developer release, should I notify them as a bug or this
> > is enough?
> >
> > *Pablo Lezaeta*

The question persist, I should oppend a bug and if need submit a patch
with (in my optinion) changin to "mail-generic" or this mail in the
mailist is enough?