Switches vs Checkboxes in Xfce 4.14

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:32:59 CEST 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>> and grey when off. Alas, both Android and GTK+ also use colours to
>> indicate
>> a recommended value or a recommended action when multiple buttons are
>> available. There is hence still some cognitive dissonance for users to
>> decide whether this means "the switch is on", or "the switch is off but
>> it's recommended to turn it on".
>> - some themes use the I and O technical symbols rather than ON/OFF labels,
>> which is confusing. Not everyone has training in electricity. We should
>> not
>> assume lay people know or remember the labels.
>>
>> Most of these issues will disappear once users learn, from fiddling and
>> making mistakes, the meaning of the widgets. The learning will occur
>> easily
>> is immediate external feedback is available for users to understand if
>> something is on. For instance:
>>
>> " [ON]/[OFF] WiFi" -> I can tell whether or not the network applet is
>> spinning afterwards because it's connecting onto my local WiFi network
>>
>> " [ON]/[OFF] Enable a specific behaviour when an uncommon event occurs in
>> the future" -> I have to wait and see, and suffer the consequences of a
>> potential mistake while still in the learning phase
>>
>> Most of the "Enable ..." checkboxes we have in our settings are going to
>> describe behaviours in response to events, so switches will not be
>> appropriate from a semantics standpoint.
>>
>>  From a graphic design standpoint, putting multiple switches next to one
>> another breaks the layout of the form. It causes people's brains to form
>> different visual groupings: a vertical group of switches, and a vertical
>> group of labels. This increases the cognitive cost of associating labels
>> switches. Because checkboxes are smaller than a line of text, there is
>> higher vertical spacing between boxes and they compete less with an
>> horizontal grouping of the UI elements.
>>
>> The settings UIs of Xfce are not control panels for groups of kettles.
>> They're forms, so it's better to stick to the form vocabulary and layout.
>> The Google Material guideline recommends using switches for a single
>> binary
>> state toggle, and checkboxes for groups of toggles [2]. I propose we stick
>> with that interpretation and keep checkboxes everywhere in the settings
>> UIs.
>>
>> We can then decide case by case where to use switches. The Accessibility
>> settings dialog is a good example of where we might want switches. Turning
>> the switch on for the Mouse Emulation will immediately enable multiple
>> other options, and there is a state involved (emulation enabled or
>> disabled), so the switch fits. If people want to start switching to
>> switches (!) right now, of course I'm happy to give my
>> lazy-ass-who-didnt-submit-patches-for-ages opinion on whether it's
>> suitable
>> or not :-)
>>

> As a user, thank you for articulating the problems of the switch widget so

+1

Whenever I find myself confronted with switches (either on mobile
devices or on desktop), I can't seem to figure out (1) whether the
thing is on/off and (2) how the user is supposed to turn the thing
off/on. When this happens I tend to hit or drag the thing randomly
(with finger or mouse) to see how the state changes (as well as things
around it) to decide if I've just turned it off or on... Confusing UI
if you asked me, but maybe I'm just a minority.

I do agree though that switches could be appropriate for turning
on/off entire components, like e.g. Compositor, whereas when "off" the
remaining of the dialog for that component is greyed-out (thus clearly
indicating the user what the state of the switch currently is).

My 2 cents,
Liviu

PS Here are two questions on UX StackExchange that discuss precisely
these issues:
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/63884/checkbox-vs-toggle
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/1318/should-a-toggle-button-show-its-current-state-or-the-state-to-which-it-will-chan

Bottom line is that switches can come with significant usability
issues (both in real-life physical switches---I for one never know in
my house whether the electrical switches are on or off which is a
dangerous UX standard if you asked me---and digital equivalent ones).
And checkboxes are generally easier to interpret instantaneously.