Switches vs Checkboxes in Xfce 4.14

flo.xfce at gmx-topmail.de flo.xfce at gmx-topmail.de
Tue May 3 15:52:29 CEST 2016

> The settings UIs of Xfce are not control panels for groups of kettles.
> They're forms, so it's better to stick to the form vocabulary and
> layout. The Google Material guideline recommends using switches for a
> single binary state toggle, and checkboxes for groups of toggles [2]. I
> propose we stick with that interpretation and keep checkboxes everywhere
> in the settings UIs.
>
> We can then decide case by case where to use switches. The Accessibility
> settings dialog is a good example of where we might want switches.
> Turning the switch on for the Mouse Emulation will immediately enable
> multiple other options, and there is a state involved (emulation enabled
> or disabled), so the switch fits. If people want to start switching to
> switches (!) right now, of course I'm happy to give my
> lazy-ass-who-didnt-submit-patches-for-ages opinion on whether it's
> suitable or not :-)

Hi Steve,

are the sentences "I propose we stick with that interpretation and keep
checkboxes everywhere in the settings UIs." and "The Accessibility
settings dialog is a good example of where we might want switches."
contradictory? Anyway, could you elaborate why you think that Switches
are a good alternative in the accessibility dialog? Is there a benefit
(UI/UX-wise) in using them?

>From my point of view I'd stick which the toggle buttons mainly for one
reason: consistency. I prefer having the same widget for multiple choice
and yes/no selections, because the later is just a special case of the
former.

Kind regards