xfconf gdbus port (GValue vs GVariant)

flo.xfce at gmx-topmail.de flo.xfce at gmx-topmail.de
Fri Mar 25 01:01:46 CET 2016

I would not say that GSettings is more lightweight than xfconf. Usually
it works together with dconf as backend for persistent storage.
Nevertheless, this would be one module less we have to maintain.
The bigger problem I see with GSettings/dconf is its binary storage.
xfconf comes with xml files and from what I heard in the community this
is considered a big advantage over other settings backends.
Porting to GSettings would be quite a big tasks, nearly every module
currently relies on xfconf.
Regardless I am on Matthew's side. It would be the logical next step
since we're already relying on glib. Independently of how this question
is decided I'd go with Ali's option 2. Probably the Gtk3 port will also
bring API changes.

Kind regards