Xfce4-notifyd ported to gdbus and gtk3

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Wed Oct 14 00:19:47 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:17 PM Ali Abdallah <aliovx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes it is a bit ugly. I will fix it. I see that the section
> '.app-notification' is present in all my gtk-3 themes that I have. So
> maybe I can fallback to this section of the current theme.
>
> Cheers,
> Ali

Hey Ali,

first of all the whole thing works nicely and looks almost like the Gtk2
variant. Obviously a lot more is possible with Gtk3 but that's up to the
themes. One notable difference to the current release of xfce4-notifyd is
the summary, which is bold (yeah, typo-alarm in Smoke/gtk.css:21) and not
centered but left-aligned (which I think makes sense). But apart from these
tiny cosmetica you did a great job here!
(I also noticed quite some indent inconsistency - tabs versus spaces etc.
Now I know some consider this nit-picky, but to me it's part of the code
quality.)

With respect to using pre-existing classes for styling this window by
default I would stick to whatever is present in Adwaita, which recently
turned from the de-facto standard in Gtk3 to *the* standard theme (after
all, it's the general fallback now). Plus, I would be hesitant to use any
of those classes as it's not always clear in what contexts they are or will
be used. E.g. what if the .app-notification class doesn't really work well
for notifyd anymore in Gtk3.20 because the Gnome Design team decides to use
it for something odd from our POV?

Personally for system style I'd still go down to colors and set some
reasonable ones and also set some other reasonable default values for
borders, border-radius etc. (Basically just something that isn't ZOMG
Ponies!)

Cheers
Simon