What windows are "popup windows"?

John Found johnfound at asm32.info
Tue Nov 17 23:21:43 CET 2015

So, I think I found it. The reason seems to be that my windows have depth of 32bpp.
When I try to create 24bpp windows, everything works fine. On 32bpp windows the shadows are missing.

Is it a bug or a feature?

The very simplified code I use is the following (excuse my asm ;)

        cinvoke XOpenDisplay, 0
        mov     [hdisplay], eax

        cinvoke XDefaultScreen, eax
        mov     [.hscreen], eax

        cinvoke XDefaultRootWindow, [hdisplay]
        mov     [.hroot], eax

        lea     eax, [.vis]
        cinvoke XMatchVisualInfo, [hdisplay], [.hscreen], $20, TrueColor, eax

        cinvoke XCreateColormap, [hdisplay], [.hroot], [.vis.Visual], AllocNone
        mov     [.attr.colormap], eax

        xor     eax, eax
        mov     [.attr.override_redirect], 1
        mov     [.attr.backing_store], eax              ; NotUseful
        mov     [.attr.background_pixmap], eax          ; None
        mov     [.attr.border_pixel], eax               ; 0
        mov     [.attr.background_pixel], $ffc0c0c0	; some gray background
        mov     [.attr.event_mask], ExposureMask or FocusChangeMask or       \
                                    KeyPressMask or KeyReleaseMask or        \
                                    ButtonPressMask or ButtonReleaseMask or  \
                                    EnterWindowMask or LeaveWindowMask or    \
                                    PointerMotionMask or StructureNotifyMask

        lea     eax, [.attr]
        cinvoke XCreateWindow, [hdisplay], [.hroot], [.x], [.y], [.w], [.h], 0, $20, InputOutput, [.vis.Visual],       \
                               CWBackingStore or CWOverrideRedirect or CWBorderPixel or        \
                               CWColormap or CWEventMask or CWBackPixmap or CWBackPixel, eax