xfconf GSettings backend

Peter de Ridder peter at xfce.org
Tue Mar 3 13:26:01 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Nick Schermer <nick at xfce.org> wrote:
> Technically [but a bitch for users] is to migrate xfconf data -> dconf
> and use the normal gsettings backend and drop xfconf.
>
> That said, the golden rule it to not break 2 things at the same time,
> so we might want to sit with xfconf during the gtk3 port. So the
> question is whether is useful to use gsettings to store settings in
> xfconf if we have to migrate anyway, some day...
>
> Nick

As nick said there is no real need for a xfconf backend, we can just use dconf.

Also, xfconf can do some things that gsettings can't and visa versa.
These should first be tackled to be able to make the switch.
Maning the most important one: gsettings can't have settings out side
of the gschema.
This is currently used for mouse and touchpad settings. The user can
even add extra settings where xfce4-mouse-settings doesn't know about.

Regards,
Peter