Establishing GTK3 port "rules" (and some q.s)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 08:58:22 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2. Do we want to be able to distribute&install Xfce4 and Xfce5
> simultaneously? IMHO this should be possible so that we don't force users
> down the "Gnome2->Mate" path, in case if users ended up being dissatisfied
> with the port.
> I would recommend bumping major revisions, SONAMEs, and renaming at least
> core components (xfce4-panel->xfce5-panel). If someone wants to maintain and
> distribute Xfce4 that should be possible without massive a renaming effort
> (like the Gnome2->Mate one).

Actually this eerily reminds me of a request I've been making over the years:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.desktop.xfce.devel.version4/19053

In LyX there is a compile-time option that allows to freely have two
versions of LyX installed independently on the same system. So for
instance, you can:
./configure --with-version-suffix=-svn

And then all relevant folders/filles will be uniquely appended with
`-svn` string. This configures SVN LyX to use 'lyx-svn' instead of
'lyx' for the binary, '.lyx-svn' for the home profile folder,
'lyx-svn' for /usr/local/share/, etc.

Perhaps a similar arrangement could be made for Xfce, too, allowing
for instance to have an installation of 'xfce4-panel-gtk3'...

Regards,
Liviu