Establishing GTK3 port "rules" (and some q.s)

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sat Feb 21 03:24:33 CET 2015

On 15-02-20 07:10 AM, ikey wrote:
> [...]
>
> 2) One whacking great deprecation I can't mentally avoid, so will now
> mention.. GtkImageMenuItem. That fella is gone. What do we want to do
> about this? (Alternatives include just dropping images in menu items
> or forking it into libxfce4ui)

No need to worry for now, if an API is only "deprecated" it means it
will exist and be supported until GTK4 IIUC. A lot of nice and useful
API got deprecated in 2013 by some guy, but there's no need to re-write
every application to use their replacements (if they even exist) until
the next major version.

> 3) Ok more than a couple. :) GTK_STOCK* usage is also deprecated some
> time now, so I may have to harass you all on IRC about which icon names
> to use. Basically named icons are used everywhere now. :)

The big one, at least for some applications like Mousepad that make
heavy use is GtkActions. It would roughly amount to a(nother) complete
re-write, or at least way more work than any sane volunteer FOSS
developer would be willing to do for zero gain.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush