Next Slackware release vs. Xfce 4.12

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:04:45 CET 2015

Hi all,

Firstly, my apologies for this message of mines, I should check twice
before I open my mouth, and lured myself into thinking many more people use
4.11 than real simply because all the people around me do. Silly me.

Max, a good way to get started is to join us on IRC and ask questions,
relentlessly. Yeah, sometimes noone is around to answer, or we're not clear
or specific enough, but the best way to understand a software project
probably is to interact with the people who know everything about it. Can't
figure out why an app behaves a certain way, or what a Xfce4ui function
does? Ask us! I found my bunch of GTK bugs and undefined behaviours this
way, and we often fixed bugs or finished features by collaboratively
discussing code rather than writing it in a corner. In fact, I contribute
absolutely zero individual code to Xfce. It always start with a
conversation for me.

Cheers,

On 3 February 2015 at 17:19, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 February 2015 at 18:07, Maximilien Noal <noal.maximilien at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Le 03/02/2015 17:54, Olivier Fourdan a écrit :
> >>
> >> But if that's not fast enough, feel free to contribute.
> >
> > At one point I wanted to contribute. But then I realized that the code
> was
> > foreign to me. That I didn't know anything about what the code was
> talking
> > about (Xorg bugs, Glib, GTK, Xfce libs, etc. ...), and that almost no
> > documentation/tutorials  were available on the Web.
>
> gtk is pretty well documented.
>
> > Basically, as essentially a Web / Qt dev I had a high fence in front of
> me
> > and no tools to overcome it.
> >
> > As a comparison, when I tried Qt, it was easier : lots of docs and
> > tutorials, no uncommented and existing code which gives you a headache
> from
> > the start, etc.
> >
> > I would tell myself to do things one at a time : play with Xorg, then
> Glib,
> > then GTK, then a small Xfce panel plugin, etc. But that's still an
> > impossible task when you have essentially zero documentation. :/
>
> Writing documentation is already contributing. Contribution is not just
> code.
>
> > How come one becomes a fully qualified Xfce dev ? (come to think of it, I
> > have the same question for KDE devs)
> > That's what I'd like to know !
>
> It's pretty much the same with any open source project, start with
> little contributions.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier

Steve Dodier-Lazaro