Next Slackware release vs. Xfce 4.12

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 18:07:52 CET 2015

Le 03/02/2015 17:54, Olivier Fourdan a écrit :
> But if that's not fast enough, feel free to contribute.
At one point I wanted to contribute. But then I realized that the code
was foreign to me. That I didn't know anything about what the code was
talking about (Xorg bugs, Glib, GTK, Xfce libs, etc. ...), and that
almost no documentation/tutorials  were available on the Web.

Basically, as essentially a Web / Qt dev I had a high fence in front of
me and no tools to overcome it.

As a comparison, when I tried Qt, it was easier : lots of docs and
tutorials, no uncommented and existing code which gives you a headache
from the start, etc.

I would tell myself to do things one at a time : play with Xorg, then
Glib, then GTK, then a small Xfce panel plugin, etc. But that's still an
impossible task when you have essentially zero documentation. :/

How come one becomes a fully qualified Xfce dev ? (come to think of it,
I have the same question for KDE devs)
That's what I'd like to know !