What is wrong with exo?

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:01:10 CEST 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Sean Davis <smd.seandavis at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is probably true.  We need additional contributions, or possibly even
> to rework exo's link handling to:
> 1. Work with all URIs.
> 2. Work with all programs which seem to handle URIs differently.
>  - Calibre for example provides workarounds, which have to be worked around.
>  - Every file manager handles URIs differently and in unexpected ways.
> 3. Handle all sorts of special characters which can be in URLs or filenames.

In order to do that you need first some kind of testing framework and
a list of URIs that should be valid, and how they should be handled.

> We appreciate the patches.  I think there have been a total of 3 people
> maintaining this application in the past 4 years.  Things get lost in bug
> mail for me, and I don't get a chance to review patches or bug reports
> frequently.  I can't speak for others, but it's likely similar (lack of
> resources).

If that's the case I would recommend to be much more careful about
commits to exo. I'd say it's more important not to break current
functionality than to try fix bugs. There's many more people using
magnet links than trying to open files with '#'' in them.

Thanks.

--
Felipe Contreras