Why design matters

Eduard Roccatello eduard at xfce.org
Fri Aug 21 11:02:07 CEST 2015

Il 06/08/15 00:20, Andrzej ha scritto:
> On 04/08/15 21:09, adlo wrote:
>> What parts of the code should I be looking at if I want to try to
>> implement this feature?
>
> As much as I would like more people to contribute to xfce4-panel, I do
> not recommend starting from this feature. The panel layout code is
> complex, fragile and affects the panel performance. Unless you can
> show you know what you are doing, test the changes thoroughly in all
> possible configurations, implement a configuration UI for this
> feature, and maintain the changes afterwards, I will NOT push the
> patch to the repository.
>
> Overall, this change requires quite a lot of work for a fairly small
> usability improvement. It is a good feature but IMHO not worth the
> effort.
I agree with Andrzej. Panel is very complex :)

In a pure conceptual way I also agree with Patrik but you should have
more respect of the project itself, of its users and its history.
We are constantly improving Xfce over time and we will continue to do so.
Suggestions are welcome and so are patches or gfx.

An HIG is important and but I think Xfce should have a basic one (a tiny
one :P) as we could suggest some basic layout and sizing guidelines but
I'll stop here (at least for the moment).

Other DE are bloated or unusable. I don't want to break Xfce, we don't
have to break Xfce.
We want to let users do what they want, even if this would mean more
work and more technical knowlege which could prevent the unexperienced
user to feel fit with xfce.

Just my 2 cents.

Eduard