News from porting xfce4-notifyd

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Sat Aug 1 17:54:07 CEST 2015

Hi again!

I quickly pulled and noticed that you're using some calls that were introduced with Gtk3.16, notably gtk_label_set_xalign and gtk_label_set_yalign. Please keep in mind that Xfce 4.14 targets Gtk>=3.14, so please use code that still works with Gtk3.14. (To the worst use ifdefs so things still build and work with Gtk3.14, I guess in your case it would be either gtk_label_set_justify or gtk_widget_set_h/valign. [1])

I only took a brief look, your branch seems to build ok (with a few deprecation warnings left, but style/stylecontext related), and the configuration dialog works ok too. The notifications are displayed but their not readable. (I presume you know all this, just posting it for others since you didn't mention the status quo.)

I'll try to take a look later at your remaining deprecations. For the use of GtkStyleContext you could for instance look at the notes plugin [2], which supports both Gtk2 and Gtk3 and even the power manager's panel plugin makes some use of it [3].

Cheers
Simon

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.14/GtkLabel.html
[2] Look here for instance: http://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-notes-plugin/commit/?id=5e59d5eafb9e91135160fd5ecb47c5a33a136556