tweaking Window Buttons defaults

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Jan 1 16:41:55 CET 2014

01.01.2014 16:30, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> But it
> also allows users to easily and quickly identify their apps simply by
> using the very graphic icons (and by avoiding the often confusing long
> labels). (With this config, the labels are always available as a
> tooltip while hovering the icon.) Furthermore, it seems to me that in
> recent years both Microsoft and Apple switched to (or consolidated)
> this type of display for the running apps on user's desktops, and this
> makes sense to me, too. Personally on each new installation of Xfce
> (especially for my friends), I always switch this option to improve
> user experience. See how much neater the desktop gets with this option
> in the second screenshot.

This breaks down when you have more than one instance of the same
application open. I'm happy to trade away a bit of visual neatness for
the ability to find the right terminal or file manager window by glance
instead of checking the tooltips. I'd argue this might be less confusing
for new users as well. I think Apple, MS, Canonical and pretty much
every consumer focused _business_ out there chose the admittedly
visually prettier approach purely for looks, not for usability. Bling
sells. BTW, the very much enterprise-oriented RHEL 7 still shows the
labels in its (IMHO) ugly GNOME Classic setup.

Then again, my monitors are on the larger side so there's usually plenty
of space in the panel. And yeah, I'm weird and still seem to work more
efficiently on a single virtual desktop.

- Jari