Bugzilla Cleanup

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:33:42 CET 2014

> Question for everyone, would it be useful on the
> https://wiki.xfce.org/people page to list who maintains/has push
> rights to which components? This way people know who to poke for
> patches and which individual components/plugins/applications need a
> maintainer. This is related to the *adopting an orphaned app* (TODO
> link) already on the page.

This was the goal. :-) And yes there is a link to adopting orphaned
apps. Xfce4-volumed and its official PulseAudio are very commonly
used, but orphaned (still looking for a maintainer!). Those should not
be treated exactly the same as programs that have been superseded
(e.g. Parole replaces Xfmedia), it's good to tell bugs won't be
implemented.

> Eric
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to do some cleanup and triaging of bug reports on
>>> xfce's bugzilla, and recently I've been looking at old (<2010)
>>> reports with the intent of finding out whether they're still
>>> valid (and if not, closing them). In the process, I noticed that
>>> there are LOTS of bugs for components that are not considered
>>> part of Xfce any more (e.g. xfprint4) or are no longer maintained
>>> or considered usable (e.g. xfmedia).
>>>
>> Yeah, still sad to see Xfmedia go. One of the few media players that
>> actually made sense to me...
>>
>> Liviu
>>

>>> I've closed out all of those
>>> two component's bugs with WONTFIX and a message indicating why.h
>>>
>>> I'd like input from the Xfce developers (and other distribution
>>> maintainers perhaps) on what other components can be closed out
>>> as WONTFIX (or other if preferred).
>>>
>>> Some that come to mind are:
>>>
>>>   libxfcegui4 (won't be part of 4.12)
>>>   pyxfce (appears to be unmaintained now)
>>>   xfc (appears to be unmaintained now)
>>>   xfce-installer (no intent to start doing this again, right?)
>>>   xfce4-cellmodem-plugin (appears to be unmaintained)
>>>     * probably the same for several other goodies, but that
>>>       alone doesn't necessarily mean they should be closed out,
>>>       I think - some still are in widespread usage
>>>   xfce4-icon-theme (will this be staying dead or are there
>>>     plans to revive it?)
>>>   xfce4-xfapplet-plugin (appears unmaintained, and possibly
>>>     irrelevant anyway since GNOME3, but perhaps MATE folks
>>>     still want it)
>>>
>>> To be clear, I'm not suggesting that bugs be closed as WONTFIX
>>> *only* because something is unmaintained, but if some component
>>> is not maintained, not considered useful these days, and has
>>> basically no chance of anyone ever deciding to revive it, it
>>> would be nice to get those bugs closed and removed from the
>>> list of open reports.
>>>
>>> On a related note, this would perhaps be a good time for someone
>>> with appropriate access to move any such trees to the "archive"
>>> directory in git.
>>>
>>> -RW
>>

>> --
>> Do you think you know what math is?