Why not reusing more GNOME components?

Alistair Buxton a.j.buxton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 01:43:49 CEST 2014

On 29 August 2014 14:34, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet at gnome.org> wrote:

> That's what I do. I install the Fedora Xfce spin, and install GNOME
> apps. What I want is to install Fedora with GNOME, and replace
> gnome-shell with xfce4-panel. I'll try this latter solution, to see if
> it is possible. I see that xfce4-panel depends on exo, xfconf,
> libxfce4ui, garcon and libxfce4util. So it's maybe possible to use it
> out of the whole Xfce desktop.

This already works, and if it doesn't it is a bug. You will need to
replace the window manager too, as gnome-shell does that as well as
provide panels. You will also need something to render the desktop
background as gnome-shell took over that responsibility from nautilus.
If you choose Xfwm and Xfdesktop, you will basically have the full
Xfce desktop installed. You could however use metacity and xsetroot if
you prefer. This is the main difference between Xfce and GNOME: Xfce
is still modular. GNOME is now gnome-shell, take it or leave it.

--
Alistair Buxton
a.j.buxton at gmail.com