Why not reusing more GNOME components?

Ángel angel at xfce.16bits.net
Fri Aug 29 23:36:40 CEST 2014

Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 01:53:23PM +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > But then I'm not sure I follow the issue that you're having. What
> > could Gnome2 ever do that Xfce >=4.8 cannot? Configure Xfce to use the
> > visual layout of Gnome2, plugin all your favorite Gnome apps, and be
> > done with it.
>
> That's what I do. I install the Fedora Xfce spin, and install GNOME
> apps. What I want is to install Fedora with GNOME, and replace
> gnome-shell with xfce4-panel.

The problem is that gnome apps have been changed to match the new design
of Gnome desktop (remove toolbar and menus, put everything behind one
button...). So if you install the applications as shipped by Gnome, they
will be inconsistent* with your desktop, which is "traditional".
* and possibly harder to use

I used to work with gedit and evince until they changed their style.
When I suggested to keep the classical interface as an option the devs
refused. I installed pluma and atril.