Why not reusing more GNOME components?

Sébastien Wilmet swilmet at gnome.org
Fri Aug 29 09:59:52 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 05:48:49PM -0700, Matthew Brush wrote:
> Did you send this email to the Unity, Mint, MATE, and LXDE development list
> too? Probably the same answer for them applies to XFCE.

AFAIK Unity reuse more GNOME components (like the applications). And the
plan for Unity 8 is to move to Qt.

I can maybe give a try of Cinnamon. But Mint, no (it installs
proprietary software).

MATE is a really stupid project. Forking the whole GNOME 2 is completely
useless, what is "just" needed is to continue to maintain gnome-panel,
gnome-applets, metacity (or just use mutter), and a few other
dependencies.

The plan for LXDE is to switch to Qt, and I hope they will reuse as most
as possible KDE components.

For a GNOME 2-like desktop, Xfce is in my opinion a really good choice.
It is also based on GLib/GTK+ and other GNOME libraries. Xfce is
developed (I think) by experienced developers (unlike Mate). gnome-panel
has been abandoned by their core developers, some developers try to
still maintain it (with the name gnome-flashback), but from what I've
seen they are less experienced and don't have a lot of time. There is
also GNOME Classic (a set of gnome-shell extensions), but GNOME 2 or
Xfce are much better (more features and more configuration).

--
Sébastien