Why not reusing more GNOME components?

Sébastien Wilmet swilmet at gnome.org
Fri Aug 29 09:33:09 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:53:36PM +0200, Harold Aling wrote:
> Gnome loves RAM, and I do too. Gnome has waaaaay too much features for
> me, which I don't use, don't want and don't like.

I thought GNOME had a reputation to not have a lot of features and
configuration, compared to KDE…

Lots of software in Xfce can be compared to GNOME, and there is not a
big difference:
- the Xfce desktop (not the apps) has as many settings as GNOME, more or
less.
- some Xfce apps are almost the same as the GNOME equivalent, or have
  less features. Compare xfce-terminal with gnome-terminal for example.
Or compare Leafpad with gedit (with some plugins it is possible to use
gedit for programming, while Leafpad is just a text area to take some
notes). Of course, thanks to some (gnome) libraries like VTE or
GtkSourceView, the Xfce apps developers don't completely reinvent the
wheel. But it is nevertheless a bit a waste of efforts. Xfce could
simply take some of the GNOME apps.

--
Sébastien