RFC: Listening for devices being added - udev vs. X11

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 22 10:11:30 CEST 2014

On 22/04/14 02:11, Martin Kelly wrote:

>  > So X11 is the only good option, unless it is impossible and gudev is
>  > required.
>  >
> Personally, it seems silly to me to add X code that will likely be
> thrown away at some point.

Like many other parts of Xfce. But that is a distant future and even
then Xfce (or a maintained version of it) should support X for systems
that use it.

> Could we get a few more XFCE developer opinions on this?

(Nick's opinion is the one that counts.)

> I'm happy to
> add X support for *BSD, but it seems silly to rewrite my current,
> working gudev code for Linux just so that we can throw it away a few
> years from now.

Personally, I do not mind an optional dependency on gudev as long as X11
implementation is well tested and maintained.

Andrzej