RFC: Listening for devices being added - udev vs. X11

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:34:55 CEST 2014

Le 15/04/2014 05:38, Martin Kelly a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a patch to fix a longstanding frustration I've had with
> XFCE, which is that every time I unplug an external keyboard and then
> plug it in again, my keyboard repeat settings get lost. It is 100%
> reproducible and has a fairly simple explanation, which is that
> xfsettingsd does not listen for the device being added, so X11 sets
> the keyboard repeat rate instead. Thus my patch is for xfsettingsd to
> listen for keyboards being added and apply the keyboard settings when
> the event fires.
>
> The question is: Should XFCE listen via udev or via xorg? Using udev
> is definitely cleaner and more future-proof, but xfsettingsd is
> already using many X11 libraries, so udev adds a new dependency.
> Especially since I am new to XFCE development, I wanted to get
> community feedback so I don't go down a path that will eventually be
> rejected.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin
Hello,

I'm not a Xfce dev, but since Xorg is being replaced by Wayland, which
Xfce will have to deal with sooner or later, and since udev isn't going
away : not adding another Xorg dependency makes more sens to me.

But that's a linux-centered viewpoint. For instance, what would be OK
for Xfce users on *BSD ?

My 2 cents.